Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Oh Là Lean



I’ve just returned from the Network for Change and Continuous Innovation Conference in Montreal.  I was fortunate enough to receive a UCISA travel bursary and I’ve been blogging from the UCISA site on each day of the conference http://www.ucisa.ac.uk/blog/?p=1553


How to start a revolution to enact change in HE
I was really pleased how many of the sessions included information about using lean as a method for improvements in universities. Many of the North American (continent) universities have been using lean for much longer than we have, so there were plenty of people who I could talk to and get lots of information and support.

It was also a real pleasure to meet up with many of the people who attended the Lean HE Hub Conference in Waterloo last September and hear about all of the continuous improvements they have been supporting.

Very special thanks to the McGill group who ensured that a group of us met up for dinner and hosted the event impeccably.

Rachel, Gill and Julie
I was lucky enough to spend some time with two HR colleagues who also attended the event. It was really good to be able to chat about the links between Organisational Development and Lean; I can’t believe it took a trip to Canada for us to this opportunity.

It was also nice to spend a bit of time with the team from Carleton University. They are incredibly knowledgeable and already to share some helpful insights, we do try and Skype occasionally, but it was really useful to chat face-to-face.

I always measure a conference by three things:
  1.  Relevance and quality of the sessions
  2. Networking: friendliness and knowledge of the conference delegates
  3. No of good ideas that come to me during the session.
I am delighted to say that the conference scored highly in all three areas.

My final highlight (apart from managing to do a little bit of sight seeing in the amazing city of Montreal) was winning a Carleton t-shirt in the prize draw. I will wear it with pride!



Saturday night fireworks at the port
Notre-Dame, its towers of temperance and perseverance are very similar to the lean principles of respect for people and continuous improvement

No comments:

Post a Comment